CSU momma & baby:)

CSU momma & baby:)

Monday, November 14, 2011

How many children are too many?

Unless you're living under a rock (I'm pretty close to that) you most likely know the Duggar family is expecting their 20th child next spring.  I first saw the big news on my Yahoo home page when I was getting ready to check email.  I read the story, then made the mistake of reading through many of the comments.  I think I counted about 3 positive comments out of about a thousand negative ones.  Most people I actually know don't have any problem with the Duggar brood, and the few people I've discussed it with are excited for them.  I have never met the Duggars personally, so the only thing I know about them is from their show, books, or website.  Judging from that, and NOT the vast amount of opinions out there, they seem like the real deal to me.  They didn't go looking for fame - it came courting them. 
The main reason I'm probably most interested in what people are generally saying about the Duggars, is because, although we have a way smaller family, we do have a lot of the same views, and I have some concerns about some of the things I've heard lately regarding children.
I read an AP article in the newspaper recently that discussed preparing to become a parents much like how to buy a new car.  It may as well have said, "Make sure you have enough money for fuel, insurance, and maintenance!"  There is also PSA I've heard on the radio a couple of times that describes having a baby completely from an economic standpoint, encouraging couples to really weigh the costs and benefits.  REALLY?  That's what a baby is?  An economic investment?  If that is really what you're looking for, I guess you really will be disappointed.
I get it.  Kids are expensive.  So are cable television, eating out all the time, brand new cars, and large houses.  I don't have anything against anyone who spends money on these things I've mentioned, but those are all much more socially acceptable than bringing a new life into the world.  We get asked all the time how in the world we make it.  I'm a stay-at-home-mom, and we just moved to a large (certainly not perfect) house this year.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that God has provided for us.  We live in, what I like to call, "Opposite World."  It doesn't make ANY sense that we are doing better now financially, than when we had just 2 children.  All I can do is quote Psalm 127:3-5 and state emphatically that it hasn't been anything we have done:

Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from Him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are the children born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.

Without a doubt, it's probably not a good idea to get married and start a family just to have financial success, but I know for us, we made a decision that we felt God was leading us to fully put our TRUST in Him in the area of family planning, and He has never ever let us down.
I can't even say that I've had perfect, problem-free pregnancies and deliveries, but I believe every time something hasn't gone according to plan, God has used that situation for His Glory and as a chance to turn our eyes completely to Him.  I know Michelle Duggar has also received a lot of criticism because of her last baby's premature birth.  First of all, what happened in this pregnancy could happen to any woman who has any amount of children, but people fail to remember that this baby is doing great right now, and so is Michelle!  Many people have said, "Aren't the children you already have enough!?!"  Just because something very difficult happens doesn't mean that you change your life's values as a result.  Most people don't give up driving if they have suffered through a car accident.
Another major criticism of the Duggars is their use of resources.  This one always drives me crazy to hear from people in this country.  I seriously doubt anyone has gone without a meal because they live near the Duggars.  Speaking for my family, yes, we do have a very big van that doesn't get great gas mileage (sorry, we can't fit the Rohdes in a Prius), but since we only need to drive this when we are all together going somewhere, it gets out of the garage about 1 to 2 times a month.  We do use paper plates for most meals, but from an ecological standpoint, we would use more water to wash dishes than it costs to produce and buy paper plates. The Duggars have done episodes on thrift store shopping.  We have been so blessed to receive clothes from many friends.  My friends have good taste, and thankfully, we have had to purchase very little clothing for our kids, and when we do, our first stop is undoubtedly a thrift store first.  Instead of using a crazy amount of resources, I feel like many large families are great at being "resourceful," and making the most of what they have.  I guess living in Wyoming, someone may have a very difficult time convincing me how "overpopulated" this world is.
One question a lot of people have for Michelle Duggar is how she can truly take care of all of those kids.  I've heard, "There is no way she can give all those kids the attention they need and deserve."  On a smaller scale, I've heard the same thing.  One thing I think people forget is CHILDREN GROW UP!  I would be shocked if the Duggar's oldest was coming around everyday looking for mommy's attention.  Having 20 babies to take care of would be REALLY hard, but Michelle has all ages.  Not many children want their parents following them around participating in everything they do (nor is this healthy.) Of course, the Duggar children probably aren't involved in every extra-curricular activity out there, but some of the harried, over-busy children we have running around society today would probably welcome that.  Do they work hard?  Probably, but it seems from what I have seen that they make it fun.  When parents wait on their children hand and foot, they send them into the real world without a true understanding of WORK.  This is something I'm trying to get better at.  I tend to do more for my kids than I should, because I have a hard time letting go of some perfectionism, but I'm truly not doing my kids any favors by not making them take responsibility around the house.
I know the Duggars have  the view that their daughters should stay under their parent's roof until they get married.  This is completely NOT a popular view in this society, but having done more or less the same thing myself, I can definitely see it's benefits.  (I'll probably save that can of worms for another blog.)  I'll leave you today with this you tube video.  I saw it a few years ago, and all I can say is - we are doing our part to prevent a Muslim takeover:)

2 comments:

  1. God bless you and your family for looking to Him alone. I have been reading today about the secret of contentment. I looked at the word Providence ~ God provides.Phil 4:10~19. Until we learn this and understand, we will always be discontent in anything in our lives. You and your husband are clearly trusting God in all things. God orchestrates everything for His purpose. Whether it be the Duggers or a family of 2or 3 trusting God fully in this generation is the key. May God be glorified. <3 Sue Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara I appreciate this point of view. I do NOT want a large family but I know that we all have different convictions. The Duggars appear to be a loving family. They can provide for their children. What is interesting to me about the "kids need more attention" thing is that people with 2 kids still tend to "pawn" their kids off on TV, iPods, etc. I'd rather have my kids with 13 siblings than a TV ...

    ReplyDelete